The Commissioners of Public Works developed this new building to house the Department of Finance. It is the first new Government Department Building completed in Dublin since 1939. The project incorporated a link into the adjacent Government Buildings complex and the restoration of The Billets, a 1912 Protected Structure. In contrast with the brick facades of the 18th century streets and squares of Dublin, and in keeping with the public buildings in the city, the Government Department of Finance is built in solid stone. 10 cm thick planks of sanded Ballinasloe limestone are crafted to form deep stone screen walls. The vertical and horizontal weave of the stone facade forms a kind of privacy screen to the cemetery. This geometry is inspired by the beautiful lacquered screens of Eileen Gray. The main staircase, positioned at the front of the building, acts as a screen to the south sun and as an acoustic buffer to city traffic. Circulation areas are located on the perimeter, with offices placed away from the facades. The street line is maintained by a handcrafted bronze railing and gate and by the three meter cantilever of the grand staircase space held over a sunken area that brings light to the lower ground level...
The Commissioners of Public Works
Barrett Mahony Consulting Engineers (estructuras e ingeniería civil structure and civil engineering); The Office of Public Works (instalaciones mechanical and electrical); Anthony Leonard and Associates (aparejador quantity surveyor); Billings Design (fachada facade)
Superficie Floor area