Our Lady of Victoria Monastery in Kijonjo
Localworks 

Our Lady of Victoria Monastery in Kijonjo

Localworks 


This monastery is home to a community of monks of the Cistercan Trappist order who established themselves in Kenya in 1952. Following post-election unrest in the country in 2008, the community moved to Uganda. The project of the firm Kampala Localworks addresses the local context, combining elements of Cistercian building tradition. This results in simple spaces, without distractions. Using bricks fired with coffee husks, the complex is organized around courtyards and presents four main buildings: church, novitiate, guesthouse, gatehouse. The church is a long volume crowned with a barrel vault where glass bottles are embedded, letting daylight in. Its buttresses progressively increase in thickness and depth towards the ground. The other three buildings are modest blocks showing a play of solid and perforated walls.

Edificio para huéspedes

Edificio para novicios