Working from offices in Madrid and Santander, the firm headed by Jacobo García-Germán has refurbished and partly reconstructed this listed baronial house, a 19th-century stone construction in the center of the Cantabrian town of Comillas, close to El Capricho Palace, a work of Antoní Gaudí. In fact the first owner of the house was Antonio Bona, Italian master builder of El Capricho.
The north facade, which is new, is a contemporary version of the south one, which has been restored using the same ceramic pieces placed there in 1884. The retrieval of these tiles and the design of the new chimneys pursue continuity with the local Art Nouveau tradition. The new layout takes advantage of the building’s elongated, narrow, deep floor plan. The conventional arrangement of uses is inverted: the social areas are placed on the upper level, where a double-height living room treats one to views of the Picos de Europa mountains and the Cantabrian Sea.