This is an expansion project for the Clark Art Institute, founded in 1955 by Sterling and Francine Clark. The prominent American art research institute is known for its collection of 19th century impressionist painting. The 57 hectares of hilly property is strewn with woods and wetlands. The program brief called for the conservation center to be rebuilt in a different location within the property and also for a new museum wing.
This new wing, named the Clark Center, unfolds in a staggered arrangement behind the main wing. The height of the building was kept as low as possible to avoid obstructing the existing scenery. The stone wall that defines the edge of the dry area as it cuts across the site leads the way along the path that runs parallel to a pond and connects to the existing building. Meanwhile, a courtyard lets light in and favors ventilation in the exhibition rooms and cafeteria below ground. The Lunder Center, built as a replacement of the art conservation center, stands on a small hill situated roughly half a mile away from the museum. The very air of this site where the architecture and landscape reside awakens the creativity of visitors and artists...[+]
The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute
Superficie Floor area
Jeff Goldberg / ESTO