Rudolf M. Schindler designed and built his own house in the period between September1921 and June 1922. It was his first project as an independent architect, after leaving Frank Lloyd Wright’s studio on account of disagreements sparked by poor work conditions. He had just married Pauline Gibling. The house was designed to accommodate them and another couple, the engineer Clyde Chace and his wife Marian. So the house was organized in three L-shaped volumes that together formed a cross, one for each couple, each member of which had his or her own studio, and a third one for a shared kitchen, the lavatories, a guest studio-apartment, and the garage. In working together on the project, the four also established their juridical situation, signing a contract whereby they agreed on joint construction, property, and use.