Born in Málaga – city to which his father, a chemist from Leipzig, moved for health reasons – Carlos Pfeifer moved with his family to Granada in 1932, and in 1952 he graduated from the Barcelona School of Architecture. From the beginning of his professional activity, Pfeifer departed from the historicist architecture promoted during Franco’s years, and embraced the language of modernity. First in Madrid, where he worked for the Oficina Americana de Proyectos, which directed the construction of military bases in Spain, and since 1956 in Granada, where he would settle for good. In Granada he completed his main works, such as the Colegio Mayor del Sindicato de Estudiantes Universitarios (1960); the Colegio Mayor Loyola (1965); the Escuela de Maestría Industrial (1968); the Casa Sindical (1969); or the housing for the Granada Savings Bank, carried out at the end of 1970 in collaboration with Fernando Higueras and Antonio Miró. In 1982 he finalized his last project, a church in the town of Canales, and retired in 1986. Faithful throughout his career to the legacy of the Modern Movement, several of his works are part of the Docomomo Ibérico.