In the southern part of the Warsaw Citadel stands the museum that commemorates the massacre of Katyn Forest, near the Russian city of Smolensk. A total of 21,768 Poles, mostly military officers, were executed by the NKVD, the Soviet Secret Police, after the USSR’s invation of Poland in the spring of 1940, shortly after the end of World War II, and it was at Katyn Forest that the first corpses were discovered.
For this the local firm BBGK Architekci has refurbished the three buildings of the Polish capital’s 19th-century fort. These constructions surround a park that symbolizes the forest of Katyn. Juxtaposed with existing brick walls, new stained concrete surfaces become a means of expression in which even traces of personal belongings of the victims are imprinted here and there. The visitor route includes 12-meter-tall incisions in walls, narrow stairs, and stone pavements evoking the victims’ path to the execution spots.
analyzes in each issue a theme related to a city, a country, a tendency or an
architect, with articles by leading specialists complemented by commentary on works
and projects illustrated in detail. Published bilingually, with Spanish and English
texts placed side by side.
covers current topics, taking stock of recent trends in set sections: cover story,
works and projects, art and culture, books, technique and innovation. From 2013
on, monthly and bilingual, with Spanish and English texts printed side by side.
is the third member of the AV family: a bilingual publication essentially focussed
on design projects (with special attention on competitions and construction details),
heretofore only laterally dealt with in the other two magazines.